Friday 8 February 2013

Cookbook Challenge 2013 - Week 5

Making weekly menus/shopping lists means that I can keep food waste to a minimum by selecting recipes that overlap on ingredients, meaning when I need a handful of spinach leaves for one dish I’m not buying an entire bag for virtually no reason. In light of this I made Asian Chicken Noodle Broth from Jamie’s Ministry of Food and then Salmon & Spinach with Tartare Cream (another Good Food recipe).

The noodle broth was packed full of flavour, and I think the only criticism I can find was that my bowls simply aren’t big enough...and that’s not the fault of Mr Oliver so I can only say that his recipe is my favourite of all the noodle broths/soups that I’ve made recently. I served the remainder of the spinach with the salmon, alongside some crushed new potatoes.

After Christmas I treated myself to a stick blender, with numerous attachments, and have been desperate to try it out – but my penchant for planning menus means I had to wait a few weeks for the dish to come around. I figured some sort of pesto would be a great way to christen my new toy so I turned to The Geometry of Pasta to provide some inspiration. Fusilli Lunghi con Pesto Trapanese was the recipe of choice and so I bunged all the ingredients in the small processor, and had my fun blitzing it to a paste. It was probably the tasteless supermarket tomatoes that let this dish down, or possibly the fact that I was having an unsettling week at work, but this just didn’t do it for me and I struggled to clear my plate.

Recipe Count: 13
Target: 52

No comments:

Post a Comment