Friday 8 February 2013

Cookbook Challenge 2013 - Week 3

For some reason all I can remember about this Saturday night is watching The Iron Lady which we’d recorded the previous week, and eating a really delicious dish of Butterbeans with Sumac from Plenty (Ottolenghi, naturally!). The two are in no way connected, the film wasn’t bad but the food was better – my husband is a big fan of anything involving feta so the liberal sprinkling over the beans had him salivating just thinking about it. I did cheat horrendously by using tinned beans, for which I’ve given myself the obligatory hand-smack, but that aside it was a lovely dish which had a lemony zing from the sumac that was off-set nicely by the creamy contrast of the beans and feta. 

Next up was Sausage & Fennel Meatballs with Lentils from BBC Good Food magazine, which was very straightforward mainly because instead of making any meatballs you just take the sausages out of their skins, add fennel seeds, and shape into balls. Very tasty and filling for a Sunday dinner!

When I first read the recipe for Saucy Pork & Tomato Egg Stir-fry, taken from Ching’s Chinese Food in Minutes, I thought the idea of swirling eggs into a fairly liquid dish would be a bit strange (and I like baked eggs in dishes, but just mixing them in seemed a bit odd), however I was pleasantly surprised with the results. It is a more fluid stir-fry than I would normally make, but a serving of jasmine rice was the perfect accompaniment and soaked up all the juices.

Recipe Count: 7
Target: 52

No comments:

Post a Comment