Thursday 7 February 2013

Cookbook Challenge 2013 - Week 1

Having received Jerusalem as a Christmas present I was desperate to get cooking in the New Year, I had already borrowed the book a few months earlier from the library and made the Stuffed Aubergine with Lamb & Pine Nuts which was absolutely divine – the best stuffed aubergine recipe I have come across. So given the excesses of the holidays I thought I’d start with a nice light fish dish and settled on Salmon Steaks in Chraimeh Sauce. I forget now what I served this dish with but I do remember the very fragrant sauce, just perfect for salmon.

Again I felt an abundance of vegetables to be necessary at the start of the New Year so the next new dish I chose was Everyday Lentil and Vegetable Curry from Anjum Anand’s I Love Curry. Having hit all the Indian supermarkets on the Cowley Road, several times, I had stocked up on my spices and pulses so all I had to buy were the fresh vegetables (always a bonus when you’re living on a budget). It was a lovely curry and one of the nicer vegetable ones I’ve made, but I think next time I might cook the aubergine for longer – perhaps fry it off at the beginning before adding to the main dish as I seemed to be waiting for a long time (a lot longer than specified) for it to cook. And there’s nothing worse than undercooked aubergine!

So not a bad start, 2 new dishes in the first week - I think this resolution could be one that I stick too (and not a bad thing when such tasty treats are on offer).

No comments:

Post a Comment