Thursday 7 February 2013

Cookbook Challenge 2013 - Week 2

My proclivity for overburdening the bookshelves can be highlighted by the fact that upon receiving three new cookbooks for Christmas I decided to hit the sales and procure yet more, but to be fair they were ones that I’d had my eye for a while…and it’s not like my resolution was to stop buying them (that would just be silly!). Due to my recent splurge I decided we hadn’t had Mexican for a little while so why not open my shiny new copy of Wahaca: Mexican Food at Home, and see what took my fancy!
 
Still on the obligatory January health kick I opted for another salmon dish, but this time instead of the warming fragrant spices of the middle-east it would be the punchy, fresh taste of Mexico. Grilled Salmon in a Smoky Tamarind Sauce was a delicious burst of freshness on a drab January evening, and has subsequently made me long for the summer nights when we can dine al fresco with a nice fresh ceviche – for now I served the salmon with some wilted spinach and potatoes (not terribly Mexican but, in the spirit of using up what’s in the house, I thought why not?!)

One more thing to take into consideration with this challenge was my subscription to BBC Good Food magazine, my favourite day of the month is when I return home to find it sitting on my doormat, and so I must make more use of my monthly influx of yet more recipes. To that end, my second dish of the week was Chilli Marrakech, a sort of bastardized version of Chilli con Carne but, incorporating all the flavours of Morocco and using lamb instead of beef. I’m always a fan of anything that can be served with couscous as it’s so easy to prepare, but this was super tasty – obviously I popped in slightly more harissa than was strictly specified but I figured it couldn’t hurt!

Recipe Count: 4
Target: 52

No comments:

Post a Comment