Friday 19 July 2013

Cookbook Challenge 2013 - Week 29

Given that I gave away most of the baked goodies from last week I wanted to make something for us to enjoy at home, so when I found a recipe for a Rosemary & Lemon Drizzle Cake on pinterest I just had to make it. The cake itself was lovely and light, and the crunch of the zingy icing was a lovely contrast to the sponge – however I could not detect much of the rosemary flavour. I probably put in slightly more than the recipe specified but it was not really coming through as much as I’d have liked, that said however it was a delicious cake and it did not stop us eating the lot…though again I did give away a substantial portion to my family when I saw them over the weekend (I really must stop donating cake!).

After the success of last week’s ceviche, and with us still being in the grip of a glorious heat wave, I decided another one couldn’t hurt. This time I made the Ceviche from BBC Good Food magazine (which I think was a James Martin recipe), as I’ve had the recipe squirreled away in my file for at least the last 12-months. For some reason when I saw that it had green olives in it I was a little bit sceptical that it would work, I like olives but I was not convinced. However I duly stuck to the recipe because I didn’t want to criticise something that I hadn’t actually tried. I’m glad I did because it all worked really well and I can’t now remember why I even doubted it. This was a delightfully refreshing dish after a long hot Sunday.

Flicking through my cookbooks, as I do on a daily basis, I realised that I have shamelessly neglected my favourite chef for far too long and to correct this oversight I chose Sweet Potato Galettes from Ottolenghi as my third new recipe of the week. With the husband and I not being big fans of goat’s cheese I substituted it for feta (hubby’s eyes lit up when he saw that) but otherwise I remained faithful to the recipe. There was a bit of prep work involved, mainly baking the sweet potatoes and allowing them to cool before peeling them (how easy is that to do once they’re cooked – amazing!). But once that was done it was simply a matter of piling everything onto the pastry and popping them in the oven. They were just lovely, the soft sweet potato against the crispy pastry and the creamy feta was a perfect combination – the only drawback was I don’t think my chillies were hot enough to give them much of a kick but I’ll remedy that next time. They were also lovely cold, as we finished off the remaining two for lunch the next day – I love it when you go to the fridge at work and find that you’ve got something exciting and different in your lunchbox!

My final recipe for the week was Halloumi with Broccoli Tabbouleh from the current issue of BBC Good Food magazine, I love a bit of fried halloumi and when I saw this recipe I knew it would be on the menu before long. What I also loved about this dish was the fact that the broccoli is cooked and then blitzed and added to the couscous to give more body and texture – also a great way to sneak extra veg onto the plate of fussy eaters! The dressing for this was great too, consisting of oil, harissa, honey and lemon juice it was delightfully punchy and brought some much needed moisture to the dish as well.

A good week for food and weather, long may the heat wave continue!

Recipe Count: 93
New Target: 104

No comments:

Post a Comment