Friday 5 July 2013

Cookbook Challenge 2013 - week 27

This week was decidedly lighter on the new recipe front than recent weeks, but it did mean I got to enjoy a nice relaxing Friday night, albeit without the satisfying smell of home-baked goodness. A bit worryingly I have come to the conclusion that I don’t have enough baking books, I feel a book order coming on but there are so many to choose from…all recommendations are welcome!

Since receiving my lovely new frying pans I’ve been meaning to make a frittata so that I can actually remove it from the pan without destroying it, and given that ‘summer’ is apparently upon us I figured now was as good a time as any – well that and the fact that I had inadvertently bought far too many eggs which needed using. From Cook in Boots I made the Pea, Pancetta & Halloumi Frittata, which involved very little effort really, a bit or prep was all that was needed. I couldn’t quite get the halloumi to brown completely on top under the grill as the rest of the frittata was getting quite dark already, and surely nobody wants a charred frittata <shudder>. Served with a simple side salad this made for a very tasty and light midweek dinner, and also lunch for hubby the following day. I always enjoy a nice frittata but the addition of the halloumi was inspired, it has a great texture and a mild salty flavour which worked brilliantly here.

 My only other new recipe this week was Spaghetti with Asparagus, Anchovies, Basil & Pangrattato from Theo Randall’s Pasta. Determined to make the most of the British asparagus season I’ve been trying to inject it into our diet whenever possible, and this seemed like a perfect opportunity. Despite the addition of double cream this was a very light dish, the tender garlic and asparagus were offset nicely with the crunchy breadcrumbs and the salty flavour of the anchovies. Next time I could be persuaded to add a little chilli into the mix (when couldn’t I?) but a really enjoyable meal nonetheless, and one that I will definitely make again. 

 Recipe Count: 85
New Target: 104

No comments:

Post a Comment