Friday 5 April 2013

Cookbook Challenge 2013 - Week 13

I’m not going to lie, following a heavy birthday weekend I was a little worse for wear come Sunday afternoon and the energy needed to do anything at all seemed to have escaped me – but ever the pro I pulled myself together enough to cook the evening meal. I had chosen Chicken with Greek Herb Sauce from Nigella’s Kitchen. There wasn’t a lot of prep work as the chicken thighs just needed some time in the oven so all I really needed to make was the sauce, a kind of tzatziki, and I figured I could probably manage that. What we had was a very refreshing meal, and I served it with a green salad and a simple dressing – exactly what I needed after a weekend of excess. Luckily I didn’t have to clear up after all my efforts…thanks hubby!

So on the Monday night when I was feeling a little more with it I made Lentil & Vegetable Moussaka from Delia’s Complete Cookery Course. Although it was very tasty I felt it was a little dry, and I do appreciate the porosity of lentils but I figured that this would have been accounted for in the recipe. The flavours were very nice but the filling could just have done with being a little moister. 

 

Sometimes towards the end of the week I feel a little tired and that’s perhaps why I tend to make new recipes at the beginning – so that I’m giving them my full attention – but I think the thought of the long Easter weekend meant I had a late surge of energy this week, and having broken-up for a four-day weekend I decided to make Chorizo & Chickpea Stew from Nigella’s Kitchen. Now I decided to serve it with plain couscous, as I couldn’t be bothered to faff around with all the components of the bulgur wheat accompaniment, but this was a really easy and delicious dish. I had received a set of very nice frying pans for my birthday and this was the dish that christened one of them (I may have been a little over-excited about this). Although a note to self for next time, don’t burn your mouth on the first bite - ouch! 
 

As is traditional on Good Friday I opted for fish and chose Smoked Haddock with Buttered Spinach & Mustard Sauce from a recent BBC Good Food magazine. It was a nice simple dish and I even managed to poach the eggs so that I got a nice runny yolk to burst…ok, so mine may have looked a bit special but I gave the good one to hubby and he seemed suitably impressed. 
 

Recipe Count: 41
Target: 52

No comments:

Post a Comment